Well, Bait And Switch is making the rounds looking for a sucker…er…I mean agent or publisher, and Prize Play’s outline is finished. Now that means I’ve actually got to start writing it…
Maybe it’s the insanity of the past month (starting a new day job, sending off BaS, the Acura died and I needed a new car. And pay taxes on the new car. And title the new car. And get plates for the new car) but bleh, been hard to work up the motivation to actually do something.
I suppose I oughta post something here.
The draft for Bait and Switch is finished. And I’ve got perhaps half of the next book, Prize Play, outlined. Oh, and I finished the calendar for my other project: A full, 19-year Metonic Cycle, with all the lunar phases, eclipses, solstices and equinoxes noted.
So…that’s about it.
The draft of Bait and Switch is quickly nearing completion. If I’m able to wrap things up as I’m expecting I’ve got three chapters to finish, and a little over 10,000 words to write. This will push the draft word count to just over 100,000. That might come down in the final version as there may be some filler that can be cut to tighten things up a bit once editing begins (I’ve made it a point to NOT try to revise while in the process of drafting. If I go back to earlier chapters it’s for detail checking) but I don’t expect it to change drastically unless I need to do a significant cutting or expansion.
That reminds me, I’m going to need to do something about an editor. Friend and family input is certainly nice, but it still will need a professional edit. I went with a good service recommended to me by another author for No Good Deed…, but I think that’s going to be a bit out of my price range on something three times that length.
First thing’s first, though. Get the damn draft finished. THEN panic over editing.
Well, the Draft of Bait and Switch is nearing completion. It’s a bit over 80,000 words right now, and it should reach 90-95k by the time I write the final words.
Saw two more reviews for No Good Deed… so maybe that will slowly start picking up a bit of momentum.
Still working on the calendar for my other project, but that, too, is almost finished.
It sounds like I’m actually making progress.
Well, the draft for Bait and Switch is in the home stretch. Just about 63,000 words, so somewhere between 3/4 and 2/3 finished, and getting to the climax now.
In other news, another, much larger project I’ve been working on for a couple years now is finally making progress. It’s a LONG way from done, and right now I’m working out some calendar issues before I can really continue writing. Yes, calendar. It’s got its own internal calendar. And thanks to NASA’s data it will even have lunar phases and eclipses, too! But good GOD is it a lot of work to set up. On top of the ton of OTHER background work and research involved.
Yeah, it’s going to take a lot of work.
But no peaks. I want to maintain the mystery and suspense as long as I can.
I really need to post here more, but blah, I have so little to really say.
Work proceeds on Bait and Switch, clearing 50,000 words and somewhere I imagine over the halfway mark. I’m still not sure what the final wordcount will be, but still looks like the 80-90,000 range.
Just read today that Tolkien’s translation of Beowulf is being released in May. It was supposed to be published a few years ago but it was pulled without any other comment. Quite disappointing considering that Tolkien was the main driving force it getting Beowulf accepted for its actual literary merits, and not just as an academic curiosity. It’s a translation that should have been available a long time ago.
So….yeah, back to work.
So Bait and Switch is coming along. Slowly. Word count just passed 40,000, which is already almost 10,000 longer than No Good Deed… and I’m expecting to end somewhere in the 70-90,000 range. Hopefully. Gah, it’s just going so fricken’ slooooooooooooooooooooow….